Saturday, August 23, 2008

meanwhile, 2 weeks later

Well, folks, I have been back home in SF for two weeks now, and have been working on making up for all the sushi I could not eat over the summer.

The first week back was technically vacation, but apparently I have turned into one of those people who has to be doing something, or rather, can only do nothing for maybe a day. So, I spent that week sleeping in, going to work for a few hours during which I mostly just hung out with my colleagues who were also working before work officially started, and slowly organizing my new "office" space.

I also met with the Chair of the 4Cs Local Arrangements Committee, Mike, and we talked about my "Food and Entertainment" subcommittee. Basically, I get to find and manage a team of volunteers who will help 3K conference attendees have a good time and eat well in SF in March. I'm writing a restaurant guide, which I do anyway on Yelp, and so it gives me an "excuse" to do more culinary research. Also, I get to think about SF like a tourist, so I spent 2 afternoons sampling coffee and getting makeup done at Macys in Union Square and wondering why so many tourists go to Chinatown. I am planning on taking the double decker bus tour of SF, just to see where it goes. I love those buses- touristy as they are, I take them when I travel in major cities because it's such a good way to get the lay of the land.

Work started officially this week, and the students came back yesterday, so now I am tired from having to reset to my 6:45 a.m. wake up schedule. Le sigh.

No comments: