Monday, June 9, 2008

A 2 Hour Drive and 3.5 Hours Bus Ride for Tofutti


Today I had to return my rental car to Pittsburgh, and so since I was going there anyway, and since there is nary any Tofutti Non-dairy cream cheese to be found in this town (Ok, well, I haven't checked that health food store yet but they were closed on Sundays because, apparently, they love Jesus like the rest of Indiana).

Whole Foods recently opened a store in Pitt, and though sometimes WF customers stress me out, I decided to stop there on my way to the airport. If you're going to drive 2 hours anyway, you might as well get some Tofutti while you're at it. Well, possibly for the first time ever, Google Maps let me down. Or, maybe I shouldn't blame everything on them. I had written directions but I usually have a printed out map so I can see whether I should stay on the road for a very long line or just a short line. Regardless, I got off on exit 5 and was spit around, over the freeway, and then back out heading the other way. Hmmm. I drove around for awhile and then had a battle of wills vs. common sense which went something like "Don't waste time on a wild Whole Foods hunt. Go return your rental car." "What, are you crazy? I will not give up! Pittsburgh will not beat me!"

Anyway, I remembered last year my advisor saying that the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, which I was near, was a place where they had bagels and outside cafes and young professionals with babies. Aha! I thought. Where there are bagels and babies, there must be a Whole Foods. SO I followed my yuppie radar (takes one to know one, right) and eventually, one hour later, triumphed!!

However, due to being in the bowels of Pittsburgh, I was almost late to return my rental car and ended up not having time to refill it with gas. Or I wouldn't have had time if my bus back to Indiana had been on time. Since it was late, I could have saved myself a million dollars, but oh well.

On the bus ride back, the driver first talked very loudly to one of the passengers, and then on her cell phone, pretty much the whole time. I learned way to much about her personal life and physical ailments. Also, the guy who sat behind me had been apparently smoking since he was born because the whole ride home smelled like cigarette smoke and mildewy cloth.

So, now I have six tubs of Tofutti in my fridge. I earned those.

3 comments:

Dauvan Mulally said...

Tofutti sounds very interesting. What does it taste like? I am also wondering about the texture. It sounds kind of like Tofurkey...I am assuming that tofu is involved.

Jenn said...

http://www.tofutti.com/btcc.shtml

Tofutti's texture is pretty similar to cream cheese, and you can't taste the tofu (not that tofu tastes like much). I do have six tubs of it so you are welcome to try it (it goes well with Nut Thins, which I also have).

nwarwick said...

I've had my own battles with Pittsburgh. Last summer on the way "home" after dropping Tom off at the airport, already feeling sad and distraught, I got lost. I think I was headed to Eerie. This year I went to the airport armed with my Garmin that I bought last year knowing that this year, I would have to drive to the airport. I was not going to let Pittsburgh defeat me! I won. I made it home without a problem AND I saw the mistake I made last year: You have to be to the far right when going over that bridge. I think last year I was somewhere in the middle.